This recipe is from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. It really is such a simple, convenient, and quick meal. I have to admit my cooking level is not high. So simple dishes really make me happy inside.
- 3 large onions
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 can vegetarian chili
- 1 large handful chopped fresh cilantro
1. Saute the onions and garlic with the oil, curry powder, and cumin in a large pot until the onions are soft or translucent, about 5 mins. Add the eggplant and saute for 5 mins longer until lightly browned and softened.
2. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and chili. Simmer for 20-30 mins. It will get watery, but then reduce to a thick, stewy chana masala. Add more spices to taste.
3. Stir in chopped cilantro and serve.