Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Carla Crocker - Eggplant Chana Masala

Today I will share with you one of my favorite meals I have tried so far. I don't know why I favor this meal so much. Maybe it's the amazing flavor, the convenience, or that's it's so easy my husband who can't even boil water can probably make it? Yeah it's just awesome.

This recipe is from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. It really is such a simple, convenient, and quick meal. I have to admit my cooking level is not high. So simple dishes really make me happy inside.


Ingredients:
- 3 large onions
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 can vegetarian chili
- 1 large handful chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:
1. Saute the onions and garlic with the oil, curry powder, and cumin in a large pot until the onions are soft or translucent, about 5 mins. Add the eggplant and saute for 5 mins longer until lightly browned and softened.
2. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and chili. Simmer for 20-30 mins. It will get watery, but then reduce to a thick, stewy chana masala. Add more spices to taste.
3. Stir in chopped cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment