Friday, March 26, 2010

Welcome to my world!

My life has changed so much recently that I really just want to start sharing these changes. It's amazing when you find something you are so passionate about. I just want to share it with the world.

I have come to the realization that I love animals. A lot. The funny thing is...I have always loved animals. But recently I have learned to respect them. Which is why I have started my journey to become a vegan.

How is it that I could eat a burger, then see a cow and say out loud "awww he's so cute!". But wait a minute Carla... you just ate a cow.

2 years ago I read the book "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. I remember reading the book and thinking "Goodness these people are really pushy". Obviously this book did something for me though, because when I got to the chapter about meat and read the vivid details about slaughter houses, I cried. I was on a train coming home from college and I just started crying on the train. Thankfully no one sat next to me because I was pretty embarrassed. But I could not help it. I can't remember the exact quote from the book, but I remember them interviewing a man who worked at a slaughter house and he said something along the lines of one time a pig came up to him, the pig nuzzled him like a dog would, and he had to kill the pig minutes later. That stuck in my head for sure.

After that book I proudly gave up red meat. Why only red? I convinced myself that I needed some sort of meat to survive. I told myself "chickens are birds, who cares about birds?" So I continued to eat chicken and dairy.

Well recently, I saw an episode of Oprah about the truth on food. It changed my life, seriously! Alicia Silverstone was on that episode and spoke of her new book "The Kind Diet" and veganism. I ordered the book the next day, read it in a week, and now I am fully committed to being a vegan!

My new commitment started on February 19 of this year. It has been only a month and a week but I am still going strong. I have SO MUCH to learn though. I still feel so uneducated and I feel like I need to learn a lot more.

Not only do I want to better my diet, but I want to better myself and the way I see life. I want to help this planet by doing the little things like recycling, turning off the water when I brush my teeth, buy eco friendly products, ect ect! I want to make a difference and feel like I am doing something right. I want to learn how to be a better person and a better friend.

So this is why I will be writing my journey on this blog =)

No comments:

Post a Comment